If you have recently visited a Melbourne art supply store you know there’s an overwhelming amount of stuff on display. Choosing the right art supplies is often difficult, especially if you are a novice at buying your own supplies.
If you are interested in buying acrylics, which is just one medium, you have a whole array of colors, brushes and surfaces to choose from. For someone who is a newbie, the key is to buy only a limited number of supplies. The reasons why you should only buy limited stock are:
- The more material you own the more problem you have getting acclimatized with all of those.
- Instead of having to deal with dozens of tubes, you know you can create classy looking pieces using a few tubes only.
- You can have a more organized storage space. When there isn’t much to store you can concentrate on what you have and make the most of it.
Guide to buying acrylic paints
You basically chose a paint color based on your personal taste and the availability of the paint. All artists see a color differently. What may appeal to one might not appeal to another.
There are colors which are considered standard in all of the manufacturers range. However at times color with the same name would differ from one brand to another. It could be slightly lighter or darker.
Expert advice is to not use more than eight colors at a time. The starter it should comprise of standard warm and cool palette of primary colors.
- Warm colors include vermillion red or scarlet, Aquamarine blue and Ochre yellow or burnt sienna
- Cool colors include sky blue or Prussian blue, alizarin red and lemon yellow
- Other choices would include any shade of brown and a bright white color
Each of these colors can be tint by adding a bit of white. This can also bring out the warm and cool tone of the color. As any artist know that you can do a great deal with just these colors only. These can be mixed to achieve another color and give a better vibrancy based on the right mixing technique.
The variation between red and blue can also be stretched to include purple and not just one hade of purple but a great many shades. Another question which you might wonder about is whether you should buy student quality paints or artist quality paints. In case of acrylic paints the difference in both the qualities is based more on the viscosity of the paint then on the quality. Artist’s quality paints are more viscous and therefore have a better vibrancy and a thick buttery texture which can be stretched to suit the artist’s work. For someone who is just starting paints which are less viscous and more fluid would work well. As you build up on experience you can choose more viscous paints.
Make sure you visit Melbourne’s top art supply store for the best acrylic paints.
If you are about to join art school or simply in search of quality art supplies, there is certain stuff which all art enthusiasts should own. Artist who have already made it in the world of art may use some of the most expensive art supplies. However, these supplies are not everyone’s piece of cake. In such cases it is essential to get art supplies which are more economical. It is not the supplies which decide how good you are going to be, it’s actually how talented you are.
The key is to buy quality supplies which are economical yet serve their purpose well. Keep the following things in mind when choosing art supplies.
- The emphasis is on quality. While everyone has their own painting and style of drawing but choosing good quality supplies can definitely make your work stand out.
- Identify the kind of supplies which you would need for your art work. It depends upon the medium which interests you most. If you are inclined towards water colors you would need supplies associated with tat genre and so on.
- While professionals have a perfect idea of what they require, beginners might not be so well versed in different kind of art supply stores in Melbourne.
Different type of art supplies
The following are a few supplies used by most artists. These include:
- Graphite pencils used to sketch the subject before you actually start painting
- Kneaded erasers for rubbing the mall details
- Good quality drawing paper. There are also several sketch books which you might find at an art supply store. Chose a book which has high quality pages.
- Brushes in different sizes
- Good quality paints. You may have to invest in water colors, oil paints and acrylics.
- Things like a palate, painting pads, markers and fountain pens. All of these are essential along with the above mentioned art supplies.
- When choosing color pencils at an art supply store, keep in mind that the most expensive ones need not be the best ones. Pencils quality depends upon color range and the fact that whether they are user friendly or not.
It’s essential to invest in a variety of art supplies. A beginner needs to practice with a variety of medium to ensure they find a niche which they would like to perfect. During the first year or foundation course at an art school students are generally allowed to work in different genres and then choose a final genre the nest year to specialize in.
While there are a lot of brands to choose from, there are certain brands which are favor in the artist community. While you may not be able to afford the most expensive brands there are few which re popular with the beginners. You can ask the sales person at an art supply store in Melbourne to help you choose the right pieces.
Poor quality art supplies can be a disappointment. Make sure you test out the supplies before buying. Sometimes you may not have the option of testing supplies, then just surf the web and read a few reviews regarding different materials and brands.
Are there art supply stores in Melbourne? Definitely! Search online for the best providers of art materials.